Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Teardrop Luminaries





These teardrop luminaries were fun and easy to make. Water balloons dipped in paraffin wax. I added stearin to the wax and found that the wax did not harden as much as I would have liked it to. The edges started to melt a bit, as well as underneath the soy wax tea lights I put inside them to light them up. I will try adding F-T to the wax and see if that makes a difference in the hardness. I just have to find it first. Even though they melted a bit (the snowball hardly at all) they are beautiful when they are lit up! Jamie

3 comments:

Jamie-Candle Smiles!!! said...

I could not find the F-T. I will try using hurricane wax next time. It is a harder wax and the luminaries should not melt when I use tealights with them.

Lisa said...

How did the hurricane wax work? Or have you tried that yet? I saw a pictures of some like these a while ago and thought they were amazing.. but didn't see how they were made. Thank you for posting this!! I think I'll make some for a friend and then hand paint something on the outside.

Jamie-Candle Smiles!!! said...

Have not tried the hurricane wax yet on these. Let me now it works out for you. Rice inside the bottom of the luminary will help the tea light from sticking to the bottom. The rice absorbs the heat from the metal. Happy Candle Making!